Monday: Indicative Seminar Discussions
Choose one of the followings questions (or come up with your own) and prepare a five minute presentation based on it:
- How do we view Ives’ use of compositional structure?
- How did models of organic structure break down over the 20th century?
- What does it mean to work ‘outside the canon’? What are the problems with this study?
- Can we use non-musical processes as compositional structures?
- Is notation a method of communication or a means of personal expression? Can you discriminate between the two? (See SMUFL glyphs)
Thursday: Workshop session for second portfolio exercise (serial sketch)
- You should have decided which essay question you want to do, or, if there’s something you especially want to research, have it ready for approval next week.
NB The second assignment should be submitted to the tutor by 5:30pm on Thursday 30th March 2017 (week 9).