Monday: Indicative Seminar Discussions
Choose one of the followings questions (or come up with your own) and prepare a five minute presentation based on it:
- How do we view Ives’ use of compositional structure?
- How did models of organic structure break down over the 20th century?
- What does it mean to work ‘outside the canon’? What are the problems with this study?
- Can we use non-musical processes as compositional structures?
- Is notation a method of communication or a means of personal expression? Can you discriminate between the two? (See SMUFL glyphs)
Thursday: Workshop session for second portfolio exercise (serial sketch)
- You should have decided which essay question you want to do, or, if there’s something you especially want to research, have it ready for approval next week.