Reminder that Monday of week 12 is a bank holiday
To play ‘in C’ bring instruments on Thursday…
Minimalism and Pop Music
See (second half of) presentation
- La Monte Young
- All in a Chord: Terry Riley In C (BOB)
Indicative Seminar Discussions
Choose one of the followings questions (or come up with your own) and be prepared to discuss it:
- How does minimalism in art relate to minimalism in music, if at all?
- Why have minimalist composers such as Michael Nyman and Philip Glass been so successful in writing film music?
- Discuss Brian Eno’s cross-domain work in visual art and music.
- Identify and be prepared to demonstrate and discuss a few examples of the use of minimalism in popular culture.
- Perform Riley ‘in C’. Material here: http://academic.brooklyn.cuny.edu/music/dcohen/coremusic/pdf/Pitch_In-C_Change.pdf